What to Do If Someone Won’t Share Insurance Information at the Scene of an Accident

4 Steps to Take If Someone Won’t Provide Their Insurance Information After an Accident

Sharing insurance information at the scene of an accident is expected, but what do you do if someone refuses? While you may not be able to force the person to give you their insurance information, there are some things you can do to ensure that you know who you’re dealing with and have the information you need to contact them.

1. Talk to the Responding Officers

The police should always be your first call after an accident, even if you don’t think there are any injuries. The officers can take an accident report and make sure everything is documented. The officers are also likely to ask both parties for their contact and insurance information, so even if the person refuses to give you their insurance information, it may be on record with the accident report. You can also let the officers know that the other person is refusing to give you their insurance information, as this may be a red flag that they are driving without insurance.

2. Gather Any Other Information You Can

If you can’t get the other party’s insurance information, get as much other information as possible. Once any immediate injuries are taken care of and it’s safe to do so, take pictures of the scene, including the vehicles and the other party’s license plate number, as well as the make and model of their vehicle. Having their name and phone number can also be helpful.

3. Notify Your Insurance Company

The next step is to notify your insurance company that you’ve been in an accident. Let your agent know that the other party refused to give you their insurance information and provide any information you were able to get. The insurance agent may be able to contact the other party and get their insurance information or reach out directly to their insurance company about the accident. Reporting the accident to your insurance company also gets the ball rolling on getting your car fixed, even if you end up having to go through your own insurance.

4. Speak With a Personal Injury Attorney

It’s also a good idea to speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident. If the other person was uninsured or underinsured, you may need to file a personal injury claim to be able to get compensation for your injuries.

If you have any questions about what to do after an accident or what you may be entitled to, call Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys at 877-388-8555 to speak with a member of our team who can schedule an appointment with one of our lawyers.