Wichita Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver? If so, you may be angry at being hurt because of someone else’s recklessness and worried about how you will pay for your medical care or make up for lost income after missing work. At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, our Wichita drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold the drunk driver accountable for their actions and demand they pay you for the harm they caused you.
Since 1999, our firm has vigorously pursued financial recovery and justice for injury victims in Wichita and throughout Kansas. With over 50 years of combined legal experience, our attorneys have the skill and knowledge to handle the most complex cases. Unlike many firms, we limit the number of cases we take so we can offer each client the time, attention, and effort they need at a critical moment in their lives. We know that you deserve more than just financial recovery – you deserve the justice, accountability, and emotional healing you need to get your life back on track after a devastating DUI accident.
Contact Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys today to get the trusted, experienced, and compassionate legal representation you need.
Legal Options for Victims of Drunk Driver Accidents
If a drunk driver caused an accident that hurt you, you might be able to pursue a claim against them to recover compensation for your injuries. You could have several options for pursuing compensation, including filing a claim against the driver’s auto liability insurance coverage or a lawsuit against them directly.
In addition to pursuing a legal claim against a drunk driver, you can obtain financial compensation for your medical expenses and lost income from missed work by filing a claim with your auto insurance for personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. In Kansas, all auto insurance policies must provide at least $4,500 in medical benefits coverage, $4,500 in rehabilitation services coverage, and up to $900 per month of lost income coverage for up to 12 months. However, drivers can purchase higher limits of coverage. You may also recover further compensation for medical expenses if you purchased optional MedPay coverage in your auto insurance.
Who Can Be Held Accountable for DUI Accidents in Wichita?
In most cases, the drunk driver who caused a motor vehicle accident will be held liable for injuries suffered by those hurt in the crash. In certain circumstances, other parties may have liability for a DUI accident. For example, the drunk driver’s employer might have liability if they caused the accident while on duty for their job.
Unlike most states, Kansas does not have a dram shop or social host liability law. Unfortunately, you cannot pursue compensation from a bar, restaurant, or social host who overserved the driver who hit you.
Types of Compensation Available to Victims of DUI Injuries
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you could be entitled to compensation for the following DUI accident-related losses:
- Medical expenses, including hospital care, surgery, prescription pain medication, medical and mobility equipment, and physical therapy
- Loss of income if you cannot work while you recover from injuries
- Lost future earning capacity and benefits of employment if you become permanently disabled
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
- Repair expenses to fix your vehicle or reimbursement for the value of your vehicle if it is declared totaled after the accident
How a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in Wichita Can Help
A Wichita DUI accident lawyer from Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys help you seek financial recovery and justice by:
- Gathering evidence, including accident scene photos and video, eyewitness statements, and police records
- Identifying your legal options for obtaining financial recovery, including pursuing claims against the drunk driver or filing for PIP or MedPay coverage from your insurance
- Documenting your injuries and losses to establish the amount of compensation that can provide you with full financial recovery
- Preparing and filing your legal claims while meeting all deadlines
- Handling discussions and negotiations with insurers and defense firms on your behalf
- Aggressively negotiating for maximum compensation for you in a settlement
- Taking your case to trial if litigation becomes necessary
Fatalities from Drunk Driving Accidents in Kansas
The following statistics from the Kansas Department of Transportation shed light on just how common and deadly drunk driving is in the Sunflower State:
- In one recent year, 85 people died in alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes. This represents 20 percent of all motor vehicle fatalities in the state that year.
- Five fatalities occurred in accidents involving intoxicated drivers between the ages of 15 and 20.
- Drunk drivers between the ages of 25 and 29 caused 11 fatalities, the second-highest age group.
- Intoxicated drivers aged 40 to 44 had the highest rate of crash fatalities at 12 deaths.
- Male drunk drivers caused 59 traffic fatalities that year, while female drunk drivers caused seven deaths.
Wrongful Death Claims After Fatal DUI Accidents
If you have lost a family member in a crash caused by a drunk driver, our firm can help you pursue a wrongful death claim against the driver. Wrongful death compensation can provide you with payment for losses your family incurred due to your loved one’s passing. These losses could include the following:
- Last medical expenses
- The loss of your loved one’s financial contributions and services to the household
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Emotional pain your family has experienced
- The loss of your loved one’s companionship, care, and guidance
Contact a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in Wichita Today
You deserve to be compensated for the losses you suffered at the hands of an intoxicated driver. Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys wants to help you demand it. Contact us today to speak with a drunk driving accident lawyer in Wichita. Consultations are free, and we won’t collect a fee unless we win for you.