At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, our experienced legal team has helped thousands of people like you. Our injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for people seriously hurt in accidents that could have been prevented. Let us help you now.
Contact us today for a free consultation with a skilled personal injury lawyer. There are no upfront fees or costs for our services, and you only pay us if we win money for you. Our firm serves accident victims throughout Kansas and Missouri. We can meet at your home, in the hospital, and on the weekend ─ whatever is most convenient for you.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Personal Injury Claim?
Only some accidents will lead to a personal injury claim. To have a successful personal injury claim, you must prove the other party caused the accident and that you suffered injuries. You will need to show that:
- The liable party had a duty to avoid or prevent causing you harm.
- The responsible party breached this duty.
- The responsible party’s breach caused your injury.
- You suffered losses as a result of the damage.
Proving a claim may seem straightforward. But the law is complex, and you will need extensive documentation to support your case. Our injury attorneys can review the details of your case for free and advise you on your next steps.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, we have decades of experience successfully handling all types of personal injury cases, including:
- Car accidents are one of the most common causes of severe injuries. When a car accident happens, understanding the fault laws in your state, determining liability, and pursuing the claims process can be complicated. Our attorneys will handle all the details of your car accident injury claim while you focus on your health and recovery.
- Truck accidents – Accidents involving commercial trucks tend to have serious consequences. Due to the sheer size and weight of trucks, crashes often leave victims with catastrophic and fatal injuries. Trucking companies and their insurers are incredibly aggressive in defending themselves to avoid payout on these claims. Our seasoned truck accident lawyers have the skills and the resources to take on these deep-pocketed companies and demand the justice you deserve.
- Motorcycle accidents – Because of their lack of protection, motorcyclists often suffer severe injuries in accidents. To make matters worse, drivers and insurance companies will try to use stereotypes against bikers, pushing the blame onto them. Our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers understand how to investigate these cases and pursue the compensation you need to heal.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrians can suffer life-threatening injuries when struck by a motor vehicle. Often, these accidents result in wrongful death. Our lawyers are here to help survivors and families pursue total financial compensation after devastating pedestrian crashes.
- Boat accidents – Many factors, such as operator negligence or design defects, can lead to a boat accident. Regardless of the cause, people can be seriously injured in boat incidents. When another party is at fault, the victim can file a personal injury claim seeking financial compensation for losses. Our attorneys have experience investigating boat accidents and pursuing complex claims.
- Workplace accidents – Suffering an injury while on the job can put you in a difficult legal position. Do you file a workers’ compensation claim? Do you have the right to file a personal injury claim? The answer depends on the facts and circumstances of your accident. At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, our work injury lawyers are prepared to help you pursue every possible source of compensation available.
- Wrongful Death – One of the most devastating things that can happen is losing a loved one in an accident that could have been prevented. Our heart goes out to you if you lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence. Although nothing can take away your pain, a wrongful death claim for damages can help ease your financial burden.
Types of Damages You Could Recover
There are two main types of damages for which you could receive compensation in a personal injury case:
- Economic damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity can be calculated.
- Non-economic damages, on the other hand, compensate victims for losses that are harder to quantify. Common non-economic injuries include pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of companionship.
Here’s a breakdown of the common types of damages you can seek to recover in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Medical bills. Personal injury victims can seek compensation for past and future medical expenses. Examples of medical bills you could recover compensation for include:
- Cost of hospital stays and medical treatments
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Bills related to doctor’s appointments
- Cost of prescription drugs
- Costs of caretaking
- Medical Transportation
- Loss of wages and loss of future earnings. Following your accident, you may miss work depending on the severity of your injuries. A personal injury lawsuit can help you get the compensation needed to replace your lost wages and keep up with your bills and living expenses. If a personal injury causes long-term injuries that impair your ability to work for the rest of your life, our lawyers may seek damages to cover the loss of future earnings.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering refer to the physical and emotional trauma you experience during and after the accident. Our lawyers can help you document this type of loss.
- Punitive damages. Punitive damages are relatively rare damages awarded when the negligent party’s conduct was incredibly irresponsible. They are intended to punish the at-fault party.
Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims
The statute of limitations is the time limit you have to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party. The statute of limitations is different from state to state. For the states our firm serves, the time limits for bringing a claim are:
- Kansas – 2 years
- Missouri – 5 years
How Our Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
From the first time you speak with us, our team will begin working to take the stress off you. We want you to focus on your recovery and let us handle everything else. You can trust our injury lawyers to:
- Assess the total value of your personal injury claim.
- Our attorneys have handled many cases like yours. We are skilled at documenting the full extent of your losses. Additionally, over time, your injuries may continue to affect your life. We will ensure we are accounting for future anticipated losses, so you are not left with additional expenses down the line.
- Gather and preserve all the evidence needed to build a strong case.
- Evidence is essential to support your injury claim. Common types of evidence include photos of the accident scene, police reports, medical records, and witness statements. Evidence may establish liability for who caused the accident and the extent of the damages you suffered. Our team may also work with respected experts who can support your compensation case.
- Handle all negotiations with insurance companies.
- The at-fault party’s insurance company will try to settle for the lowest amount possible. Our skilled personal injury attorneys know the techniques and tactics they use. We will negotiate aggressively for the entire personal injury settlement you deserve.
- Take your personal injury case to trial.
- A considerable benefit of retaining our respected trial lawyers is that we will be ready to take your case to court if necessary. If a settlement cannot be reached, we will present a strong chance at trial and push for the total compensation you are entitled to under the law.
Steps to Take to Protect Your Rights After an Accident
We recommend taking the following steps after an accident to protect your rights:
- Call the police or report the accident to the appropriate party.
- It is essential to have a written report documenting what happened. For example, call law enforcement if you were hurt in a crash. They will perform a preliminary investigation and generate an official accident report. If you were injured in a fall on dangerous property, report your accident to the property owner or manager. Make sure you get a copy of any report filed.
- Document the accident scene.
- After an accident, evidence can quickly disappear. Take photos of the accident, your injuries, and other essential details. Be sure to obtain the contact information of witnesses as well. Witness testimony can play a crucial role in your injury case.
- Seek medical attention.
- Medical care for your personal injury protects your health and legal rights. Medical records and documentation of your treatment will help support your compensation claim. Be sure to follow your doctor’s orders and complete your treatment plan. This will show that you are taking your injuries seriously.
- Talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- An experienced attorney should be one of your first calls following the accident. A lawyer can ensure you are getting the care you need and are not making any mistakes that could hurt your compensation case. Unfortunately, insurance adjusters will try to take advantage of you. Insurance companies will try to pay the lowest settlement possible and deny valid claims. They are for-profit companies that are more concerned with their bottom line than your best interests. Our injury attorneys are on your side, protecting your interests throughout the entire claims process.
Common Types of Injuries Our Clients Face
Accidents can result in a variety of injuries, including: