At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, our experienced legal team has helped thousands of people just like you. Our personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for people who have been seriously hurt in accidents that could have been prevented. Let us help you now.
Contact us today for a free consultation with a skilled personal injury lawyer. There are no upfront fees or costs for our services, and you only pay us if we win money for you. Our firm serves accident victims throughout Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Colorado. We are available to meet with you at your home, in the hospital, and on the weekend ─ whatever is most convenient for you.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Personal Injury Claim?
Not every accident will lead to a personal injury claim. To have a successful personal injury claim, you must prove the other party caused the accident and that you suffered injuries as a result. You will need to show that:
- The liable party had a duty to avoid or prevent causing you harm.
- The liable party breached this duty.
- The liable party’s breach caused your injury.
- You suffered losses as a result of the injury.
Proving a claim may seem simple and straightforward. But the law is complex, and you will need extensive documentation to support your case. Our personal injury attorneys can review the details of your case for free and advise you on your next steps.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, we have decades of experience successfully handling all types of personal injury cases, including:
- Car accidents – Car accidents are one of the most common causes of severe injuries. When a car accident happens, understanding the fault laws in your state, determining liability, and pursuing the claims process can be complicated. Our attorneys will handle all the details of your car accident injury claim while you focus on your health and recovery.
- Truck accidents – Accidents involving commercial trucks tend to have serious consequences. Due to the sheer size and weight of trucks, crashes often leave victims with catastrophic and fatal injuries. Trucking companies and their insurers are extremely aggressive in defending themselves to avoid payout on these claims. Our seasoned truck accident lawyers have the skills and the resources to take on these deep-pocketed companies and demand the justice you deserve.
- Motorcycle accidents – Because of their lack of protection, motorcyclists often suffer serious injuries in accidents. To make matters worse, drivers and insurance companies will try to use stereotypes against bikers, pushing the blame onto them. Our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers understand how to investigate these cases and pursue the compensation you need to heal.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrians can suffer life-threatening injuries when struck by a motor vehicle. Often, these accidents result in a wrongful death. Our lawyers are here to help survivors and families pursue full financial compensation after devastating pedestrian crashes.
- Boat accidents – Many different factors can lead to a boat accident, such as operator negligence or design defects. Regardless of the cause, people can be seriously injured in boat incidents. When another party is at fault, the victim can file a personal injury claim seeking financial compensation for losses. Our attorneys have experience investigating boat accidents and pursuing these types of complex claims.
- Workplace accidents – Suffering an injury while on the job can put you in a difficult legal position. Do you file a workers’ compensation claim? Do you have the right to file a personal injury claim? The answer depends on the facts and circumstances of your accident. At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, our work injury lawyers are prepared to help you pursue every possible source of compensation available.
- Wrongful Death – One of the most devastating things that can happen is losing a loved one in an accident that could have been prevented. If you lost a loved one as a result of a someone else’s negligence, our heart goes out to you. Although nothing can take away your pain, a wrongful death claim for damages can help ease your financial burden.
Types of Damages You Could Recover
There are two main types of damages for which you could receive compensation in a personal injury case:
- Economic damages are those that can be calculated, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages, on the other hand, compensate victims for losses that are harder to quantify. Common types of non-economic damages include pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of companionship.
Here’s a breakdown of the common types of damages you can seek to recover in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Medical bills. Personal injury victims can seek compensation for medical expenses, both past and future. Examples of medical bills you could recover compensation for include:
- Cost of hospital stays and medical treatments
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Bills related to doctor’s appointments
- Cost of prescription drugs
- Costs of caretaking
- Medical transportation
- Loss wages and loss of future earnings. Following your accident, you may miss work depending on the severity of your injuries. A personal injury lawsuit can help you get the compensation needed to replace your lost wages and keep up with your bills and living expenses. If a personal injury causes long-term injuries that impair your ability to work for the rest of your life, our lawyers may seek damages to cover loss of future earnings.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering refers to the physical and emotional trauma you experience during and after the accident. Our lawyers can help you document this type of loss.
- Punitive damages. Punitive damages are relatively rare damages that are awarded when the negligent party’s conduct was especially irresponsible. They are intended to punish the at-fault party.
Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims
The statute of limitations is the time limit you have to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party. The statute of limitations is different from state to state. For the states our firm serves, the time limits for bringing a claim are:
- Kansas – 2 years
- Missouri – 5 years
- Oklahoma – 2 years
- Colorado – 2 years, 3 years for car accident claims
How Our Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
From the first time you speak with us, our team will begin working to take the stress off you. We want you to focus on your recovery, and let us handle everything else. You can trust our personal injury lawyers to:
- Assess the full value of your personal injury claim.
Our attorneys have handled many cases like yours. We are skilled at documenting the full extent of the losses you have suffered. Additionally, over time, your injuries may continue to have an effect on your life. We will ensure we are accounting for future anticipated losses so you are not left with additional expenses down the line.
- Gather and preserve all the evidence needed to build a strong case.
Evidence is essential to supporting your personal injury claim. Common types of evidence include photos of the accident scene, police reports, medical records, and witness statements. Evidence may establish liability for who caused the accident and the extent of the damages that you suffered. Our team may also work with respected experts who can support your case for compensation.
- Handle all negotiations with insurance companies.
The at-fault party’s insurance company will try to settle for the lowest amount possible. Our skilled personal injury attorneys know the techniques and tactics they use. We will negotiate aggressively for the full personal injury settlement you deserve.
- Take your personal injury case to trial.
A huge benefit of retaining our respected trial lawyers is that we will be ready to take your case to court if necessary. If a settlement cannot be reached, we will present a strong case at trial and push for the full compensation you are entitled to under the law.
Steps to Take to Protect Your Rights After an Accident
We recommend taking the following steps after an accident to protect your rights:
- Call the police or report the accident to the appropriate party.
It is important to have a written report documenting what happened. If you were hurt in a crash, for example, call law enforcement. They will perform a preliminary investigation and generate an official accident report. If you were hurt in a fall on dangerous property, report your accident to the property owner or manager. Make sure you get a copy of any report filed.
- Document the accident scene.
After an accident, evidence can quickly disappear. Take plenty of photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and any other important details. Be sure to obtain contact information of witnesses as well. Witness testimony can play an important role in your personal injury case.
- Seek medical attention.
Getting medical care for your personal injury protects both your health and your legal rights. Medical records and documentation of your treatment will help support your claim for compensation. Be sure to follow your doctor’s orders and complete your treatment plan. This will show that you are taking your injuries seriously.
- Talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer.
An experienced attorney should be one of your first calls following the accident. A lawyer can ensure you are getting the care you need and are not making any mistakes that could hurt your case for compensation. Unfortunately, insurance adjusters will try to take advantage of you. Insurance companies will try to pay out the lowest settlement possible and even deny valid claims. They are for-profit companies that are more concerned with their bottom line than your best interests. Our personal injury attorneys are on your side, protecting your interests throughout the entire claims process.
Common Types of Injuries Our Clients Face
Accidents can result in a variety of injuries, including:
- Shoulder injuries
- Internal injuries
If you have suffered any of these injuries in an accident, it is very important that you seek medical attention as soon as possible.