Boat Accident Attorneys in KS, MO, OK & CO
For thousands of Americans, boating is a beloved form of recreation. However, operating a boat is not the same as driving a car. Boating requires more patience, skill, and experience. Too often, boaters will get behind the wheel without the proper experience. Boat operators may be intoxicated, distracted, or otherwise unable to exercise the proper case and caution needed. When that happens, they endanger themselves, others on the boat, and everyone around them.
If you’ve been hurt in a boat accident in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, or Colorado, you need to learn about your legal rights. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries and related losses. With more than 50 years of combined legal experience, the boat accident lawyers of Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys have the skills and the resources to help.
Contact our firm today for a free case evaluation with an experienced boat accident. We do not charge any fees upfront to begin work on your case, and you only pay us if we win money for you.
Common Types of Negligence in Boating Accidents
Some of the most common examples of negligence in boating accidents include:
- Inexperienced operators
- Operating a boat too large or fast for one’s experience and skill
- Operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted operation, such as texting, using a cellphone, or talking with other passengers on the boat
- Unsafe turns, which can cause dangerous wakes for other boats
- Running aground
- Collisions with docks and piers
- Inadequate or improper maintenance
- Boating in dangerous waters, such as those with obstructions above or just beneath the surface
- Insufficient, expired, or defective safety devices onboard, such as life vests or flares
- Boating in unsafe weather conditions, such as high winds or seas, or low visibility because of fog or rain
How a Boat Accident Attorney Can Help You
When you’ve been injured in a boat accident, you may require intensive medical treatment and recovery over a period of weeks or months for your personal injuries. You do not need the added stress of pursuing a legal claim for compensation.
At Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys, our boat accident lawyers will do all the legal legwork on your behalf. Our team will:
- Collect all available evidence from your accident
- Bring in experts in accident reconstruction, marine engineering, medicine, and finance to help prepare a strong, persuasive argument on your behalf
- Identify at-fault parties and potential sources of compensation, such as insurance coverages
- File your claims for compensation with the insurance companies and aggressively pursue a settlement that gives you fair and full compensation for your losses
- Prepare your case for trial, if necessary
We understand that suffering significant injuries in a boat accident can place financial and personal burdens on you and your family. Catastrophic injuries from boat accidents often include head trauma, back or spine injuries, broken bones and soft tissue injuries. When you choose us to represent you in your boat accident claim, you can trust that we will fight fiercely for the full financial compensation you need to recover.
In addition, you pay no upfront fees. You owe nothing unless our boating accident attorneys get compensation for you in settlement or at trial.
Compensation for Boating Accident Injuries
A boating accident can lead to serious, potentially life-threatening injuries. As a result, you may be entitled to compensation for damages such as:
- Costs of medical recovery, including hospital bills, doctor’s office visits, surgeries, prescription medication, physical therapy, and medical equipment
- Personal care costs, including home health services, home maintenance services (that you cannot do yourself), or modifications to your home to accommodate disabilities (such as ramps or stairlifts)
- Lost income or earning capacity, if you miss time from work or your injuries prevent you from returning to full-time work
- Lost enjoyment or quality of life, caused by physical disfigurement or disabilities that prevent you from participating in activities you previously enjoyed
- Pain and suffering
Time Limit for Filing a Boat Accident Lawsuit
You have a limited amount of time to file a boat accident lawsuit against the party or parties responsible for your injuries. This time limit is known as the statute of limitations. Each state sets its own statute of limitations for boat accident lawsuits. For example:
- In Kansas and Oklahoma, you only have two years from the date of your boat accident to file your lawsuit.
- In Missouri, you generally must file your lawsuit within five years of the date of your boat accident.
- In Colorado, you have three years from the date of your boat accident to file a lawsuit.
If you fail to file suit before the statute of limitations expires, the court will almost certainly dismiss your lawsuit and you will lose your right to seek compensation.
Talk to a Boat Accident Lawyer Now
If you have been injured in a boating accident in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, or Colorado, the dedicated legal team at Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys can help. Schedule a free consultation to talk with one of our knowledgeable boat accident lawyers about your legal rights.