The Kansas Turnpike is often a safe means of travel. But there are certains sections of the highway that see more accidents than others. The stretch from Topeka to Kansas City, near I-70, for example, is a section you might need to use a little extra caution. As far as we’re concerned, it’s always better to be in the know. So here are the top 10 most accident-prone sections of the Kansas Turnpike from 2010 to 2014.
1. The highest accident count occurred at mile marker 224 on I-70 near Kansas City. There were 184 total accidents, with 25 causing injury.
2. Mile marker 184 at Topeka had 121 total accidents, including one fatal and 13 injuries. This is just one mile north of the I-70 exit.
3. Mile marker 177 at Topeka – the exit to Topeka Boulevard leading to the state capitol comes in at number three.
4, 6 and 10 are all close in proximity – mile markers 222, 217 and 212, respectively. Like number 1, these three mile markers are on I-70 near Bonner Springs.
5 and 9 are mile markers 202 and 203, respectively, located near Iowa Street in Lawrence. So if you have students at The University of Kansas, tell them to be careful, with this being the main route to the dorms. This is one of the heaviest-traveled spots on the turnpike, with an average of about 30,000 vehicles a day.
7. Mile marker 42 had 86 total accidents, including three fatal and 20 injuries. This is the south Wichita exit to I-235, 47th Street and the Canal Route. About 18,600 vehicles pass by this mile marker on an average day.
8. Mile marker 127 at Emporia. This is the Emporia exit to I-35 North. This area 18 injuries and four fatal accidents.
This information can be vital to your safety on the Kansas Turnpike. It will help you know where to take extra caution when traveling. But if you do find yourself in an accident in the Topeka area, give Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys a call.
We’re experienced accident attorneys for Topeka, KS that can help you no matter what the situation.