It as an overwhelming experience to be involved in an auto accident. However, it’s much more complicated than a collision between two motorists. Things can get confusing with the involvement of insurance companies, police, hospitals, ambulances, doctors, tow trucks, auto mechanics, lawyers, and others.
The car accident attorneys of Mann, Wyatt & Tanksley know that this is an emotional time for victims of terrible injuries.
Please remember these important safety tips to better protect yourself after an auto accident:
- Safety First – Do not move a severely injured person. However, check to see if everyone is alright. Call 911 and allow the police and EMT crews to tend to injured victims.
- Do Not Apologize – It might seem like second nature, but don’t say “I’m sorry.” This is especially true when the other driver is liable. Insurance companies can take this an admission of guilt, and use it to deny your claim.
- Exchange Information – Get the other driver’s name, contact information, driver’s license number, make and model of vehicle, and their insurance carrier and policy number.
- Record the Facts – In order to get fair compensation from insurance companies or in a legal settlement, it’s important to provide information that supports your claim. Write down every detail of the accident, talk to witnesses, and take pictures of any damage.
- Call Your Insurance Company – Report the accident as soon as possible! Your insurance provider will talk about your options, and send an appraiser to evaluate the damage to your automobile.
- Never Accept the First Offer – The other driver’s insurance company does not have your best interests at heart. They want to settle the case as soon as possible. Before accepting any offer, it’s important to talk to your insurance provider. If you are being denied coverage entirely, then you need a car accident attorney immediately.
“Seek legal representation if you have been involved in a serious accident,” says Scott Mann, car accident attorney. “Mann, Wyatt & Tanksley is dedicated to helping injured victims reclaim their lives. We want to restore their self-worth and self-esteem by giving them new opportunities to get their lives back on track. Please contact our office for a consultation if you have been the victim of an auto accident.”