How To Obtain and Read a Copy Of Your Accident Report

Car keys, pen, and accident report

If you’ve been in a wreck, you’re probably wondering how to get your car accident report. An official accident report will contain all the crash details recorded by the law enforcement officer responding to the scene. It will include information such as the date and location of the accident, who was involved, and any other details the officer chooses to provide. A Kansas accident report can be a valuable piece of evidence in your personal injury claim.

When Is a Kansas Car Accident Report Filed?

In Kansas, the Kansas Highway Patrol or another law enforcement officer will complete and file a report after a crash. Police are generally required to respond to and investigate any accident where someone is injured or killed.

If the police do not respond to the scene, you might be required to submit your own accident report or face legal consequences. You are required to report an accident if the police did not respond to the scene and one or more of the following circumstances applies:

  • There was more than $1,000 in property damage
  • Someone died in the accident
  • Someone involved in the accident fled the scene

Information Included in a Car Accident Report

A Kansas police accident report contains lots of potentially helpful information, including:

  • The officer that investigated the crash and what agency they work for
  • The date, time, and location of the crash
  • The type of road where the crash occurred
  • Any injuries or deaths resulting from the crash
  • The vehicles involved in the crash, along with the owners’ names and contact information
  • Any passengers inside the vehicles involved in the crash
  • The road and weather conditions at the time of the accident
  • A diagram of how the crash happened
  • Any traffic citations issued to the drivers involved in the crash
  • The damage to each vehicle involved in the crash
  • A written account from the investigating officer about how the crash happened

How Can I Get an Accident Report in Kansas?

You should review your car accident report to make sure it is accurate before filing a claim for compensation for your injuries. The easiest way to obtain your Kansas car accident report is to request it online from the Kansas Highway Patrol. You will need to pay a minimum of $5 to get your report. There may be additional fees for any eyewitness statements.

If you do not want to request your report online, you may be able to order it in person at the local office of whichever agency investigated the crash. An attorney can help you obtain your motor vehicle accident report if you can’t find it online.

Contact Our Experienced Car Accident Attorneys in Wichita, KS Today

Our Wichita car accident lawyers could help you get a copy of your crash report and seek fair compensation if someone’s negligence caused you harm. To learn more about how to get a police report for a car accident, contact us today for a free consultation.