Wichita, Kansas Personal Injury Attorneys: What Is PIP Insurance?

insurance form

Because the state of Kansas requires auto insurance coverage, many drivers may choose coverage without knowing for what they’re paying. According to the Kansas Insurance Department, your auto insurance payments pay for several individual coverages. There are six basic coverage options. Four of them are required for every driver in Kansas: Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection, and Personal Injury Protection. While the rest are relatively self-explanatory, Personal Injury Protection or PIP insurance is a little less obvious.

“PIP insurance provides benefits for medical expenses and lost wages for you and your passengers in the event of an accident,” said Mike Wyatt, personal injury attorney at Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys.

PIP insurance differs from other coverage in that it pays out in the event of an accident, regardless of who is at fault. According to Wyatt, the state-required minimum PIP coverage for medical expenses is $4500, with at least $900 a month to cover lost wages. Additionally, PIP insurance covers a minimum of $2000 for funeral, burial, or cremation expenses.

“If you’re injured in an accident, you’ll have to file a claim to receive the PIP insurance coverage you pay for,” said Wyatt. “But, you should use it.”

Contact Wichita Personal Injury Lawyers Today

If you’ve recently suffered a personal injury as the result of a car accident in Wichita, contact Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys today. Our more than 75 years of combined litigation experience has helped us make sure clients receive the compensation they deserve. Compensation could cover:

  • medical treatment
  • rehabilitative care
  • lost wages from time take off work
  • future lost income for disabling injuries
  • property damage
  • pain and suffering
  • emotional trauma.

Request a free consultation with our team of Wichita personal injury attorneys or contact us directly at (877) 768-2400.