When you sustain a personal injury, the severity can range from mild to life-changing. Personal injuries can result from car accidents, collisions with large commercial trucks, or work accidents. No matter what kind of injury you suffered, all you want is to get your life back to as close to normal as possible.
You might think that insurance companies will cover costs, but in actuality, they look for reasons to pay as little as possible. So it’s critical to consult a personal injury lawyer about your case as soon as you can. They can assist you in dealing with insurance companies and build a court case to help you receive your rightful compensation. With medical costs mounting soon after the injury occurs, the prospect of a drawn-out litigation process might not seem worth the trouble. However, the majority of cases never make it to court.
“Fewer than one percent of my cases make it to court or a jury trial,” said Mike Wyatt, personal injury lawyer at Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys. “Most cases resolve before a lawsuit is filed.”
If a lawsuit is filed in a case, chances that it reaches the trial phase are minimal. Wyatt says that fewer than one percent of his cases that start the litigation process make it to trial.
“Litigation is a lengthy and time-intensive process with many steps at which a settlement can be reached,” Wyatt said.
Settlement is often the preferred option for many different reasons:
- It saves both sides a substantial amount of time and legal costs. Usually, the two parties can agree to an amount whereas court-ruled damages may not be so fair.
- The trial and appeal process can potentially take years.
- Trials are part of the public record, but settlements allow both parties to control what the public sees and what remains private. Since a settlement is not an admission of guilt, a defendant can save face with an out-of-court settlement.
Contact a Kansas City Personal Injury Attorney Immediately
If you’ve recently suffered a personal injury in the Kansas City area, contact Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys to set up a free consultation today. With more than 75 years of combined litigation experience, we have helped clients receive the compensation they deserve for:
- Medical treatment
- Rehabilitative care
- Lost wages from time take off work
- Future lost income for disabling injuries
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma