Kansas City, MO Personal Injury Lawyers: What if the Person Who Hit Me Doesn’t Have Enough Insurance?

insurance form

If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you know the physical and emotional toll it can take. To make matters worse, there are times when the driver who hit you doesn’t have insurance. A study by the Insurance Information Institute found that 14 percent of Missouri drivers are uninsured. However, even if the at-fault driver is insured, it might not be enough to cover the bill for the injuries you sustained.

“In Missouri, the minimum amount of insurance coverage is $25,000,” said Mike Wyatt, personal injury attorney at Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys. “It’s very possible that if you’re in an accident, your medical expenses alone could exceed the other driver’s insurance coverage.”

According to Wyatt, if you’re hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver, your own underinsured coverage would kick in to help you cover your expenses. If your underinsured coverage exceeds the amount of the other driver’s coverage, you can make a claim with your carrier once the other driver’s insurance carrier has tendered their policy. Some might feel apprehensive that filing a claim with their own insurance company will increase their rates. Wyatt explains that’s typically not the case.

“As long as you’re not at fault for the accident, you’re merely making a claim under your own policy,” Wyatt said. “And that’s exactly what you pay your premium for.”

Contact a Kansas City Personal Injury Attorney Immediately

Personal injuries can occur as a result of incidents such as car accidents, accidents involving large trucks, or work injuries. If you’ve sustained a personal injury in the Kansas City area, call the attorneys at Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys today. With more than 75 years of combined litigation experience, they will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.

Request a free consultation with our team of Kansas City personal injury attorneys or contact us directly at (877) 768-2400.