In a recent year, there were 613 fatal traffic accidents in Oklahoma. Because non-fatal car accidents are more common and most drivers will be in approximately four accidents during their lifetime, it is important to know what steps you should take immediately after a car accident.
According to Mike Wyatt, car accident attorney at Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the below steps should be followed if you are in a car accident:
- Immediately contact the authorities.
- If there is any chance that you have been injured, it is important to seek medical care right away, which might mean leaving the car accident scene in an ambulance or going to an emergency room on your own. Often, car accident injuries are not felt for several days after the accident, so it’s important to seek medical care even if you do not feel immediate or severe pain.
- Collect information from any and all witnesses of your car accident.
- Contact a car accident attorney immediately, if possible, prior to discussing the case with any insurance companies.
- Take photographs of the damage to your property and have medical documentation of any injuries and unusual symptoms.
- Do not accept any type of settlement offer without first understanding the long-term effects of the accident, especially your injuries. Your car accident attorney will help in this.
Contact a Tulsa Car Accident Attorney Immediately
If you have been injured in a Tulsa car accident, you may be entitled to file a personal injury claim for compensation. Compensation can cover the costs of medical treatment, rehabilitative care and property damage. Additionally, your settlement could provide compensation for lost wages, future lost income, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma.
The car accident attorneys of the Mann Wyatt Tanksley Injury Attorneys Injury Firm assist clients like you within the Tulsa area. If you retain Wyatt or one of our other car accident attorneys to pursue your car accident case, we will:
- Investigate your accident
- Negotiate with the applicable insurance company
- File and pursue a lawsuit (in the case of unsuccessful negotiations)
Request a free consultation with our team of Tulsa car accident attorneys or contact us directly at (877) 768-2400.