When you’re involved in an auto accident, it can be an overwhelming and confusing ordeal. There is much more involved than a skirmish between two drivers. Hospitals, ambulances, doctors, police, auto mechanics, tow trucks, insurance companies, lawyers, and other parties could all play a significant role in your case.
Over the years, the car accident attorneys of Mann, Wyatt & Tanksley have seen how collisions negatively affect victims.
In order to protect themselves after an auto accident, there are several safety tips that motorists need to keep in mind:
- Make Sure Everyone is Safe – The most important thing is to make sure all drivers and passengers are alright. If someone is severely injured, do not try to move them yourself. Call 911 and let the police and EMT crews take control.
- Don’t Make an Apology – While this might seem like the polite thing to do, insurance companies can use the apology to deny your claim. Do not say anything that admits fault — especially when the other driver is liable.
- Exchange Information – Get the other driver’s name, contact information, driver’s license number, make and model of vehicle, and their insurance carrier and policy number.
- Write Down Details – Take pictures of damage, talk to witnesses, and record every detail possible of the accident. This will help in getting fair compensation from insurance companies or in a legal settlement.
- Contact Your Insurance Company – In order to protect your best interests, it’s important to report the accident. Your provider will review your options, and send an appraiser to evaluate your automobile damage.
- Do Not Accept the Initial Offer – The other driver’s insurance company wants to settle as soon as possible, but they don’t have your best interests at heart. Before accepting any settlement, talk to your insurance provider. If you are being denied coverage, then consult with a car accident attorney.
“Seek legal representation if you have been involved in a serious accident,” says Scott Mann, car accident attorney. “Mann, Wyatt & Tanksley is dedicated to helping injured victims reclaim their lives. We want to restore their self-worth and self-esteem by giving them new opportunities to get their lives back on track. Please contact our office for a consultation if you have been the victim of an auto accident.”